ElationIT is bound by the National Privacy Principles (‘NPPs’) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (‘Privacy Act’) that require us to handle your personal information responsibly. ‘Personal Information’ is defined within the Privacy Act as information or an opinion about an individual that can be used to identify that individual.
Why does ElationIT collect Personal Information?
The primary purposes for which ElationIT collects your personal information includes
- To provide and market our products and services
- To inform you of our special offers and events and to facilitate and process your acceptance order of any special offers, products and services
- To create a better, more personalised experience with ElationIT for you
- To help us manage and enhance our products and services
Generally, we use the information we collect about you for the primary purpose for which it is collected (which we disclose to you at the time of collection) and for reasonably expected secondary purposes. We limit the collection of sensitive information about customers (e.g. ethnic origin, political opinions etc.) because it is generally not necessary for what we do.
ElationIT also takes reasonable steps to provide clear, complete and up-to-date information about our business and the products and services we offer. This includes how to get in touch with us. If you have a concern with the collection or use of your personal information, you can notify ElationIT of your concern, make a complaint, obtain redress or pursue dispute resolution by simply contacting the Privacy Officer using the details set out below.
What kinds of Personal Information do we collect?
In general, the type of personal information ElationIT collects and holds includes but is not limited to names, addresses, contact details, occupations and other information that will assist us in providing our products and services.
Personal Information Collection
When we collect your personal information we endeavour to:
- Let you know whom we are and what we intend to do with your information when we receive it. We strive to be open and upon request we will let you know what sort of personal information we hold about you, how we collect it and how we use and disclose it. Subject to the Privacy Act you may request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting the Privacy Officer via the details set out below (Note: For security reasons we will require you to verify your identity and to specify the information that you require.
- Take steps to ensure that your personal details are accurate, complete and up-to-date when we use or collect them. You have the right under the Privacy Act to request changes to your personal information. We encourage you to contact us in order to update any personal information we hold about you using the Privacy Officer contact details set out below
- Collect personal information only by lawful and fair means, generally by forms filled out by you (whether on-line or in hard copy), face-to-face meetings, interviews, business cards and third parties to whom you have given consent to pass on your personal information.
Personal Information Disclosure
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Our related or partner companies
- Our authorised retailers
- Insurance companies
- Credit providers
- Other companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf (such as mailing houses) who are generally contract bound to protect your privacy
- Law enforcement bodies such as the Police, who seek access to your personal information for law enforcement purposes
- Anyone else to whom you have authorised us to disclose it
We may also collect your personal information from these companies and individuals, in which case we will deal with this information in accordance with this policy. Unless otherwise required or permitted by law, if we disclose your personal information to others we will only do so with your consent (implied or express), and we will also take steps to ensure the party to whom we have disclosed your information agrees to protect the privacy of your personal information.
The Spam Act 2003 (Cth) prohibits the sending of commercial electronic communications without the consent of the person to whom the communication is being sent. In line with ElationIT’s commitment to technology (but within the parameters of the law) ElationIT would like to accommodate customers who wish to be contacted by way of electronic communications. These communications may be sent for any of the purposes mentioned above. ElationIT may, at the point of collection of personal information, request the mobile phone number or the email address of our customers. Where customers provide these details ElationIT will request the consent of an individual to use these details for electronic communications such as SMS and email. Whenever such messages are sent to a customer ElationIT will always provide the customer with the option of “opting out” of receiving similar communications by way of electronic means in the future.
Do Not Call Register
The Do Not Call Register Act 2006 prohibits the making of telemarketing calls (as defined in the legislation) to numbers listed on the Do Not Call Register, unless there is a business relationship. In line with ElationIT’s commitment to corporate compliance, ElationIT will only contact numbers that appear on the Do Not Call Register in the limited circumstances allowed by the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 and the Telecommunications (Do Not Call Register) (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Standard 2007, such as where you have given us the requisite consent to do so. Where you give us express consent to contact you by telephone we will deem it to be supplied for an indefinite period for the purposes of the Do Not Call Register Act 2006, unless otherwise advised or withdrawn by you.
We always provide individuals with an opportunity to “opt-out” of receiving future communications from ElationIT. If you have received a communication from us and don’t wish to receive new information from us in the future, just use the “unsubscribe” function on the email or sms sent to you, or otherwise use the “contact us” form on our website. You can also write to or email the Privacy Officer on the details set out below and we will take appropriate steps to ensure your details are marked as “private” on our internal database and/or added to our ‘Do Not Mail’ list to ensure you will not receive any future communication from us. ElationIT does not send marketing communications to customers who have asked us to mark their details as private or who have opted out of receiving such information. Please note that in some cases your details may be retained in the event that we may need to contact you in relation to such matters as vehicle safety, recalls, warranty, and any requirements specified by law.
The Security of our System
We take all reasonable steps to protect the security of personal information collected by us. We understand that customers require peace of mind when it comes to the security of providing their personal information to ElationIT. We have internal methods to ensure that your personal information is safe and protected against misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Where we no longer require your personal information for a permitted purpose under the NPPs, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or suppress your personal information.
Updates to this Policy
Our Contact Details
Facsimile: (03) 8376 7749
Privacy Officer ElationIT Pty Limited
PO Box 24172
Melbourne, VIC 3000